Saturday, January 16, 2010

How can I keep the squirrels off of the bird feeder. I don't mind feeding them, but they waste most of the?

seeds. The only place I can hang a feeder is from the eves of the house. The rest of the property is heavily forested. No trees close to the house though.How can I keep the squirrels off of the bird feeder. I don't mind feeding them, but they waste most of the?
Place feeders at least 10 feet from any surface the squirrel can jump from, such as a tree, shrub, or house.


If pole mounted, put your feeder at least 5 feet off the ground and place a stovepipe or dome baffle below the feeder.


If hung from a tree, make sure your feeder is 10 feet from the trunk, 5 feet off the ground and there is a large dome baffle above the feeder. Some people string a wire between two trees and hang the feeder from the wire, again make sure it's 10 feet away from tree trunks, 5 feet off the ground, and there is a dome baffle above.


New squirrel-proof feeders are being introduced all the time. Try them and see which works for you. Some tubular feeders now come enclosed in a green wire mesh cage. Other feeders are metal boxes with a spring-weighted platform. When a heavy squirrel lands on the platform, a door closes over the feeding holes. Lighter birds can land and feed without the door closing.


my personal favorite is wrapping the tree trunk with a thin piece of metal above and below the feeder so they can't get to the feeder by treeHow can I keep the squirrels off of the bird feeder. I don't mind feeding them, but they waste most of the?
They make a dome shaped cover to put above the feeder to keep the squirrels off. But if the feeder is near a post they can jump from that to the feeder and I don't think you can stop that. They also make a squirrel guard that goes below a feeder on a post. Other than that you just have to learn to love them.
I think it would be a good idea to try and attract them to a different area to feed from? its not a bad thing that the squirrels are there if you don't mind feeding them. Try providing a different feeding ground for the squirrels and find out what type of squirrels they are.





That way you can find out what they eat and attract them to the other feeding ground. That's the good way of doing it.





The other way (which i wouldn't do or advise) is to either fence the area in your yard off and make it entry proof to squirrels or call animal control services. Some species of squirrels are endangered and protected though. But for now my advise would be to try and find out as much as you can about them to provide food and attract them to a different area.





Otherwise just be greatful they are there and enjoy them! After all, they are harmless! As well as cute.





Hope this helps you and good luck!! =]
Hi Freedom,





I used to have this same question as I tried to keep the squirrels away from the food I put out for the birds.





But now I'm happy to see a squirrel. When I walk I don't see a single acorn and in the past I had to watch carefully so I wouldn't twist an ankle stepping on them.





When I went to get the mail today I inadvertantly startled a squirrel that was eating an abandoned pumpkin.





My advice is to enjoy them while you still have them!
be careful not to put the feeder to close to your house or the squirrels will eat the wood and get into your house, I had this happen to me before,had to call in the pros.

No comments:

Post a Comment