Monday, January 18, 2010

How do I keep squirrels from getting into my bird feeders?

Hey people, I need help.We have a rod iron pole to hang bird feeders on and the squirrels keep getting into them. Do you know any ways to stop this?How do I keep squirrels from getting into my bird feeders?
My mum has the kind of poles yer describing for yer bird feeders. She got these black metal cone shaped things that hand underneath and above the feeder so squirrels can't jump up or down to the feeder.





However as no bird feeder is entirely squirrel proof.. there does tend to be one or two acrobatic squirrel that manages to get up there. Not many though.





I'd give you a link but I don't know what they're called to search Google for.How do I keep squirrels from getting into my bird feeders?
As other posters mention, you will probably have to feed the squirrels. I have a squirrel feeder http://www.flickr.com/photos/21211516@N0鈥?/a> in the far corner of my yard. I keep it full of black-oil sunflower seeds, and the only time the squirrels bother my bird feeders is when their own feeder is empty.





This will not attract more squirrels. Squirrels are territorial, and will not let other squirrel families into their territory.





Feeding the little pests is more effective than dogs, cats, repellents, barbed wire, shotguns, slingshots, and yelling at them. You may however want to purchase a squirrel baffle http://www.flickr.com/photos/sundebsun/1鈥?/a> (not my image, but a good example) to keep them away. Just make sure they can't climb a nearby tree and leap into the birdfeeder.
That's an easy one put your bird seed out and sprinkle some cayenne pepper in it. The birds will not care they don't smell or taste very well but it will light up the squirrels and they will leave it alone any pepper will work.


http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf33195364.tip鈥?/a>
Squirrels get hungry too,and they don't know the feed is just for the birds. I always leave seed and peanuts for the squirrels and they leave the bird feeders alone.


It's a lost cause trying to just feed the birds.
Wire two wire hanging baskets together to forn a sperical cage around the bird feeder - birds can access it - squirrels can't.
If i were there idd scare em away with slingshot...im so bad at it a hit right beside it .....mostly

No comments:

Post a Comment