Monday, January 18, 2010

How do you keep squirrels out of bird feeders?

I moved my bird feeder and hung it under my porch the birds still come, but the squirrels will climb up the side of the porch and jump over and empty out all of the feed and then all the squirrels come and eat all of the food that is on the ground.How do you keep squirrels out of bird feeders?
I had a similar problem. A grey squirrel used to dangle from a branch and fall on my feeder, spilling food everywhere. Instead of moving the feeder I switched the type of seeds I used in the feeder. Safflower seed have a white coat and are bitter tasting to squirrels but songbirds still love it. At this moment a cardinal is feeding in my feeder. Since I switched seeds the squirrel has disappeared, probably to find better tasting food. Also some grackles have stopped visiting but they were little pigs that would empty my feeder every other day.





Safflower seed is widely available in stores with other bird feed. I buy mine at Lowe's. Plus, new bird seeds are also cheaper than a new bird feeder.How do you keep squirrels out of bird feeders?
I have my bird feeder hanging on a shepherd's hook in the middle of my back yard. I take Crisco and wipe it up and down the pole. You can also use regular cooking oil or the sprayable kind, like Pam. More than anything, I do this for my own entertainment. It's so funny watching the squirrels jump on the pole and slide down. Sometimes they keep trying to go up, with no success, and sometimes they just hold on and slide down. Either way, it's really funny.





Basically, I don't think there's much you can do unless you actually move your bird feeder. You can buy squirrel-proof bird feeders and you can buy things to hang over your bird feeder to try to keep squirrels out, but I'm not completely convinced anything really works.
Check your garden centers. Lows in my area sells a feeder that closes off the supply of seed when anything heavier than a bird sits on it. You can adjust the sensitivity.
YOU HAVE TO MOVE THE FEEDER .PUT IT IN A TREE .IF YOU GO TO A HARDWARE STORE THEY HAVE THESSE THINGS YOU PUT OVER THE TOP FEEDER THAT THE SQUIRLS CANT GET TO THE FOOD THEY ARE MADE OF ALUMANAM THE SQUIRLS SLIDE OFF OF THEM I AM SORRY I DONT KNOW THE NAME OF THEM BUT THEY WORK.......
  • bumble and bumble
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment