Monday, January 18, 2010

Whats the best way to keep the squirrels out of my bird feeders without harming them?

Put piece of shinny tin around the pole. Then the squirrels won't be able to climb up to the feeder.Whats the best way to keep the squirrels out of my bird feeders without harming them?
Ok this works....Get some cayenne pepper or any other hot pepper and put it in your bird food...Birds do not have taste buds, but squirrels do!! I buy 20lbs. of bird feed at a time..Walmart has these little packets or just use your own hot pepper..I use 5 teaspoons for 20lbs. was using less but upped the dose when the squirrels came back. THEY don't come back anymore!!Whats the best way to keep the squirrels out of my bird feeders without harming them?
Um... call me over and let me harm them?
Try putting Vaseline on the pole below the feeder.
get the feeders that are squirrel proof.
I had this problem at my cabin in Colorado! The only thing that ever worked was to move the feeders to a slick location (such as a metal pole) or to another inacessible place (such as a long rope WAY far out on a limb). I also limited the openings on the feeders (w/ toothpicks), (no, not to poke them), so as to make it to where you REALLY needed a BEAK to reach the food. ALSO, (%26amp; I believe that this was the key to success) I provided a little house that was just FOR the sqirrels (filled w/ the same bird food. REALLY, REALLY worked!!!! (plus, I'm sure it made them feel special %26amp; loved.) If you can't beat them-join them! :)
we had this same problem, except with our chickens getting ontop of feeders. so we took a terricota round planter base, cut a small circle in the middle, and placed it upside down on the ';attatchment'; of the freeder. you may want to attatch a rope and tie a knot below the terricota planter base. the object of this is that when weight is applied to it (from squirrels sitting on top) it will tip. hopefully that wasnt too confusing ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment