Tuesday, January 19, 2010

What can I put near my bird feeders to keep squirrels away?

Is there something I can plant, or some other chemical I can put out near my bird feeders to keep squirrels away?





We have a lot of squirrels around here, and I have had several bird feeders ruined by these long-tailed monsters.





(I hate squirrels. Whenever I see one of those things run over in the road, I think, ';good.'; The only reason why people don't treat them like rats is because of those long tails. Those tails are their PR.)





So, any suggestions? Plants or chemicals that are harmless to birds, but will frighten squirrels away?What can I put near my bird feeders to keep squirrels away?
Wow. I totally disagree.





I think you should feed the squirrels, too. If you use squirrel guards and baffles they will find other food - like eggs, fledglings and unsuspecting hens sitting on nests.





I'd rather feed them, then have them eating the birds.





There are squirrel proof feeders and squirrel feeders available - some of them are even entertaining for humans.





Killing squirrels is pointless. New ones will move in within days.What can I put near my bird feeders to keep squirrels away?
One thing you can do is put a mesh over your bird feeder. That will work well if you have a platform feeder. You can also buy squirrel proof feeders. Many online sites sell them. Some people also use grease on the pole so the squirrel slides down and can't get up on the feeder. Another option is to give the squirrels their own food so they don't eat the seeds. There are also some sprays you can buy online that deter squirrels but don't deter or hurt birds. Hope at least one of those things I mentioned helps you out.
My dad hates squirrels too for the same reason so he put a big circle of sheet metal on the bottom and top of his feeders. He's been doing this for several years and the squirrels haven't figured it out yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment