Monday, January 18, 2010

Mounting bird feeder- keeping squirrels out?

I have a small house-shaped feeder hanging in a tree, The squirrels keep climbing onto it and spilling all the seed onto the ground. Would it help to mount the feeder on a tall thin metal stake?Mounting bird feeder- keeping squirrels out?
Yes it may help. Put feeder at least six feet off the ground , and this is a bare minimum. Make sure there are no trees or overhanging limbs within ten feet and you might get lucky and keep them off. I have been fighting the little furry rodents for years and eventually they seem to find a way to get to the seed. Even the motorized rotating feeders, they just keep jumping on until the batteries give out and then feast until I realize that I need new batteries. I had my feeders eight feet off the ground with at least fifteen feet clearance from nearest limb and they made a game of skydiving for them.Mounting bird feeder- keeping squirrels out?
No it will not help. I bought my mom a bird feeder and a metal post to keep the squirrels out. I couldn't believe it, but they shimmied up that metal post and chewed the twine stuff holding the feeder on, causing the feeder to fall to the ground and break. They are amazing if you think about it...but very annoying. She still feeds the birds and ignores the squirrels when they come.
You can add slippery items like plastic film canisters onto the line the feeder hangs from, or add a cone on the line to the squirrel will fall off trying to get down to the feeder.
  • bumble and bumble
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment